Whether you’ve just started your lawn care business or have been in the landscaping industry for years, the right apps can take your business operations to the next level.
The best lawn care business apps can help you manage your finances, schedule lawn care jobs, manage customer relations, and look after your team.
Let’s jump right into our list of lawn care apps!
1. Shoeboxed – Best for receipt management
Saving receipts is vital to any business to reduce its tax liability.
At the end of every tax year, you can write off business expenses from your income taxes—and it’s those receipts that help cover your tail if you’re ever audited by the IRS.
However, keeping up with all of the paper receipts from the year can be a hassle, especially when you have multiple employees using company vehicles or making business purchases.
This is where Shoeboxed comes in.
What is Shoeboxed?
Shoeboxed is a receipt scanning app and service that lets you snap photos of receipts on the go, categorize your expenses, create expense reports for your accountant, upload expenses to your accounting software, and even outsource your receipt management.
How does the app work?
When you or your employees get a receipt for gas, vehicle maintenance, or landscaping equipment, simply scan the receipt using the Shoeboxed mobile app.
Every receipt you take a photo of has its information pulled using advanced OCR technology and is safely stored in your account under 15 editable tax categories.
You can then create your own tags for purchases, and sort expenses based on date, payment method, vendor, and more.
What other features does Shoeboxed have?
1. Unlimited free sub-users
Unlike other receipt-scanning apps, Shoeboxed lets you add an unlimited number of FREE sub-users to your account.
That means there’s no additional cost for adding employees to your account to upload receipts.
You can even give your accountant access to Shoeboxed to make tax time a breeze.
2. The web dashboard
Shoeboxed’s web dashboard lets you see the expenses added to your account by employees, upload important documents and receipts from your computer files, and automatically import digital receipts to your account from your Gmail.
You can also view your Magic Envelopes and request more envelopes be sent to your business.
Speaking of the Magic Envelope…
3. The Magic Envelope
What is the Magic Envelope anyway?
The Magic Envelope is Shoeboxed’s receipt scanning service. It lets you outsource your receipt scanning and management so you don’t have to worry about scanning your business receipts.
When you opt for a plan that includes the Magic Envelope, Shoeboxed will send you a postage-pre-paid envelope in the mail each month for you to send your receipts in.
Once your receipts reach the scanning facility, they’re scanned, human-verified for accuracy, and uploaded to your account under the appropriate tax categories (or under the categories you specify).
4. Built-in mileage tracker
Last but not least, Shoeboxed’s built-in mileage tracker is perfect for tracking the time spent on the road for business.
This helps you accurately bill your customers and maximize your deductions.
The mileage tracker is easy to use and turns your trips into receipts with a snapshot of the route you took, along with deductible and trip information.
- Upload receipts on the go.
- Expenses are automatically categorized under tax categories.
- An unlimited number of FREE sub-users.
- CSV file and PDF expense reports.
- Filter expenses or use advanced search to call up receipts in seconds.
- Outsource receipt management with the Magic Envelope.
- Web dashboard and mobile app.
- Built-in mileage tracker for accurate billing and deductions.
- Integrates with accounting software like QuickBooks and Wave for efficient expense management.
- Magic Envelope isn’t available on Digital Download Only mobile plans. Visit the website to view plans that include the Magic Envelope.
- The Digital Download Only Starter Plan is $4.99/month, up to $19.99/month for the Pro digital plan. (Magic Envelope service is not available with the mobile app plans.)
- Plans that include the Magic Envelope start at $18/month, up to $54/month. (Available on desktop only.)
2. Jobber – Best for scheduling jobs
Jobber was “built for home service businesses,” including lawn care businesses or landscaping businesses like yours.
This lawn care business app offers tools to help you manage your business more effectively, including quoting and scheduling jobs, invoicing clients, and receiving payments.
From the app, you can access your business’s activity feed to see how jobs are progressing, communicate with clients, dispatch vehicles, and gain valuable insights into your business performance.
Simply put, Jobber was designed to automate your daily office operations so you can focus on other aspects of your business.
Overall, we really liked Jobber and think it’s a great option for lawn care professionals who have an already successful or rapidly growing landscaping business.
- Everything you need to handle jobs from start to finish.
- Schedule jobs and allow clients to book appointments with you.
- Get paid online.
- Create professional-looking quotes and invoices.
- Communicate with clients to improve customer satisfaction.
- Dispatch trucks and manage job scheduling.
- Made specifically for home service businesses.
- Create job forms and checklists specified by clients.
- Get job details from clients through the app.
- Follow up with lawn care customers for reviews and to let them know the job is complete.
- Not the most budget-friendly option, especially if you have a large team that needs to communicate with clients or have access to schedules.
- Any additional user outside of the plan allowance is $29 extra dollars a month.
- The Core plan may not be suitable for small businesses and only includes 1 user for $49/month (paid annually) or $69/month.
- Core – $69/month OR $49/month (paid annually).
- Connect – $169/month OR $129/month (paid annually).
- Grow – $349/month OR $249/month (paid annually).
3. PictureThis – Best for plant identification and care
With over 100 million downloads, it’s safe to say that PictureThis is a popular app.
PictureThis is a plant and lawn care app designed to help gardeners identify their plants, treat and prevent diseases, and properly care for various plant species.
For landscaping business owners, this means learning to better care for your clients’ landscapes and even expanding your services to include disease treatment and prevention.
This app is a great way to cultivate your knowledge and build a positive reputation. It can also prevent you from mowing down purposefully planted flora that look like weeds.
Speaking of weeds, PictureThis identifies common weeds and shares the best way to get rid of them—perfect for new lawn care businesses just starting to learn the ropes.
- Identify common plant species and weeds.
- Learn to better care for your clients’ landscapes.
- Identify, treat, and prevent diseases in plants.
- Helps prevent mistakes.
- There’s no monthly payment option. You’ll have to pay for at least 1 year.
- 1 year – $34.99 OR $29.99, if you choose auto-renewal.
- 2 years – $49.99.
- 3 years – $59.99.
4. Measure – Best for finding dimensions
Measure is an iPhone app brought to you by Apple. It “[Turns] your iPhone or iPad into a tape measure,” letting you accurately measure the dimensions of a landscape, garden bed, driveway, retainer wall, and other garden features.
This app can help launch your landscaping business into the future by automatically finding the dimensions of rectangular objects, measuring height, and finding the size of any object you scan.
- Easy to use and accurate (within reason).
- Free app.
- Helps you quickly determine the size of objects in a landscape to plan garden layouts.
- Only available on IOS.
- Measurements can be off by an inch or two. Use for rough measurements and not delicate planning.
5. Wave Invoicing – Best free invoicing app
Whether you’re a small lawn care business looking to save money where you can or are just starting up, Wave can help you invoice your clients and get paid quicker—for free.
With Wave Invoicing, you can create and send professional invoices, set up recurring billing for repeat customers, and receive payments.*
All of your invoicing and payment information is then synced with the free Wave Accounting software so your bookkeeping is automatically done.
Wave’s accounting software is tied in and offers reports to help you track your business health and prepare for tax season.
You can even purchase add-ons like payroll and receipt scanning.
*Receiving payments through Wave comes at an additional cost per transaction.
- Invoicing and accounting features are 100% free to use.
- Get profit & loss statements and manage income and expenses.
- Create professional invoices and set up recurring billing for repeat customers.
- Invoices and payments automatically sync with Wave Accounting.
- Additional paid features to streamline your business operations.
- No hidden fees.
- User-friendly mobile app and web dashboard.
- Receiving payments costs money per transaction.
- Invoicing – Free.
- Accounting – Free.
- Payments – 2.9% + $0.60 per transaction, 3.4% + $0.60 per AMEX transaction, and 1% per transaction for bank payments.
- Mobile Receipts – $8/month OR $72/year.
- Payroll – $40/month + $6 per employee or independent contractor (tax service states) OR $20/month + $6 per employee or independent contractor (self-service states).
6. Deep Lawn – Best for job estimates
Any lawn care business owner will tell you that job estimates can be tricky.
Out of all the apps for lawn care businesses, Deep Lawn is the best for job estimates. This lawn care app allows you to sell your services to customers online quickly and efficiently.
Deep Lawn takes AI measurements of landscapes and automatically creates quotes for your customers based on your pricing tables.
You can also set up “Geopricing,” which lets you add the zip codes that you service or create custom service areas.
To get started with Deep Lawn, simply add Deep Lawn’s widget to your website.
Customers who visit your site can input their address, adjust the areas of their lawn they want serviced, choose the services they want, and pay.
- Offer your services online and automate quotes.
- Create a quick and pleasant customer experience.
- Geopricing lets you choose zip codes for servicing and create customer service areas.
- Get paid online.
- Desktop and mobile applications.
- May be expensive for startups.
- Launch – $59/month. Includes 40 free searches, then $1.25 per additional search.
- Professional – $95/month. Includes 100 free searches, then $0.95 per additional search.
- Performance – $160/month. Includes 300 free searches, then $0.55 per additional search.
- Premium – $450/month. Includes 1,000 free searches, then $0.45 per additional search.
7. OSHA-NIOSH Heat Safety Tool – Best for summer safety
Summers can be dangerous for lawn care business owners and their employees.
Out of all of the best lawn care apps on our list, the OSHA-NIOSH Heat Safety Tool should be one of your top considerations.
This app is brought to you by the CDC and features “Real-time heat index and hourly forecasts…as well as occupational safety and health recommendations from OSHA and NIOSH.”
Get risk levels for heat-related illnesses and precautionary recommendations, learn the signs and symptoms of heat stroke, heat exhaustion, heat rash, and more, and the next steps for treatment.
When working in the heat, an app like this one could mean the difference between a successful day and an emergency at the job site.
- Real-time temperature updates specific to your location.
- First-aid tips and precautions.
- Learn the signs and symptoms of heat-related illnesses.
- Protect your employees while out on the job.
- App is free to use and easy to navigate.
- Set in-app reminders for hydration and rest.
- Some complaints of heat index readings being off by a couple of degrees. If you’re working in severe conditions, refer to your weather channel app to ensure accurate readings.
8. Planimeter – Best for mapping landscapes
A successful lawn care business is hinged upon careful planning.
Planimeter is the best lawn care app for mapping landscapes and uses Google Maps to accurately measure lot sizes and buildings for gardening projects.
You can even measure things like fencing and pavement!
This lawn care business app can come in handy when planning out intricate landscapes for your more detail-oriented clients.
Get the radius, circumference, and dimensions of your projects so you can plan out gardens before you even start digging.
Planimeter is also great for lawn care services like lawn mowing. Get an accurate representation of yard size so you can quote and bill your lawn care clients accordingly.
- One of the best lawn care business apps out there (we tried various lawn measurement tools—Planimeter was our favorite).
- Uses Google Maps to get accurate measurements of landscapes, buildings, fencing, and more.
- Lawn care service businesses can plan their projects in detail before starting.
- Know the size of landscapes before drawing up a quote for lawn maintenance.
- No monthly charge.
- Nothing to report!
- One-time purchase of $7.99.
9. CompanyCam – Best for customer communication
We loved the concept of CompanyCam. It’s a fantastic app that we had to include on our top picks list for lawn care specialists and landscaping professionals.
CompanyCam is an app that lets you take photos of your jobs, project progress, and project completion to share with your employees and customers.
Not only is it a great way to communicate with your customers about what they need/want from your services, but it’s also useful for covering your tail in case a customer claims you damaged property or didn’t complete a job.
With CompanyCam, you can create project checklists, reports and project templates, take photos, upload video updates, create before and afters, and more.
On top of that, project timelines are automatically saved from images so you can prove what you did and when.
- Protect your business and employees from unjust disputes.
- Create before and afters and project reports for clients.
- Communicate with clients on their project’s progress in-app.
- Take photos and videos of project progress and completion.
- Mark on photos for adjustments to the landscape.
- Live timeline of work.
- Costs can quickly add up depending on the size of your team.
- Pro – $19/user/month (billed annually).
- Premium – $29/user/month (billed annually).
- Enterprise – For 50+ users. Request a demo for a quote.
10. Eden – Best for startups
Eden is a lawn care app that helps contractors find local jobs. It’s perfect for new landscaping companies or lawn care businesses to build their reputation and get their name out there.
This lawn care business app matches you with customers who are looking for grass-cutting, landscaping, yard work, and other lawn care services.
Simply set your service area and Eden will pull available jobs near you. You’ll get information on the job type, location, lot size, and the price of the job.
Once you’ve accepted a job, you can get directions, message the customer, or let the client know when you’ve arrived right from the Eden app.
Think of it as the DoorDash of the lawn care world.
- App is fair to contractors. There’s an in-app review system that lets you rate your experience with a client and share if the details of the project were accurate.
- Great for a new lawn care business.
- Gives details about a customer’s property and job so you only accept the projects that appeal to you.
- Task management features allow you to alert the client when you’ve finished a project.
- Clients can request additional work. You can estimate the hours it will take to complete, which clients can accept or decline (a good way to make extra money).
- There may not be many jobs in your area.
- Pricing isn’t transparent and getting information from Eden is wonky. You have to sign up and wait for Eden to contact you with pricing information.
- Not transparent.
How do I write a lawn care business plan?
If you’re just getting started with your lawn care business, having a well-thought-out plan can improve your chances of succeeding.
Follow the steps below to write a lawn care business plan:
Step 1: Decide where you fall in the lawn care industry
At the bare minimum, you need to decide if you will be servicing commercial or residential properties.
This will impact who you market to, the type of equipment you purchase, and the services you provide.
Step 2: Perform a market analysis
See how many homes or businesses are in your service area, and then determine how many of these homes or businesses might need your services.
Determining your target demographic can give you better insight into how many clients you could potentially land.
It’s a good idea to market to elderly customers who may not be able to manage their landscapes like they used to or busy, single-family homes.
Step 3: Study your competitors
Are there other lawn care businesses in your city? How much do they charge? What services do they provide?
Answering these questions can help you get ahead of the competition.
Step 4: Decide on services
Next, you’ll want to figure out what services you’ll offer.
Will you offer landscaping services such as pruning, garden bed maintenance, or mulching?
Will you focus on mowing, weed eating, and basic lawn care?
Remember that you don’t only have to do what the competition does.
See if there’s a unique service that you could specialize in that makes you stand out from the crowd, such as natural weed control solutions.
Step 5: Figure out your finances
Determine how much you’re willing to take from business loans and add up your equipment costs. Compare your service prices to your expenses to create a budget that’s worth your while.
You’ll also need to figure out your licensing and permits and factor those into your costs.
You can calculate your startup costs using this guide by the SBA.
How do I make sure my lawn care business is successful?
Anyone can start a business, but ensuring that your lawn care and landscaping company is successful can be difficult to do.
Here are a few tips to get ahead of the game:
1. Advertise your services
You won’t get customers if people don’t know you’re out there.
Create a website for your business and advertise on/by:
- Handing out fliers or business cards.
- Offering your services through word of mouth.
- Placing yard signs.
- Creating and wearing t-shirts with your business information.
- Putting your logo and business information on your truck(s).
Getting your name out there is the most crucial step to ensuring business success.
2. Do good work and provide excellent customer service
Being good at what you do will keep customers coming back.
No matter if you do landscaping or lawn services like mowing, weed eating, and trimming, specialize in a specific set of skills and master them.
- When customers are happy, give them special perks or discounts.
- When customers aren’t satisfied, ask what you can do to remedy the situation.
Excellent customer service shows your clients that you take pride in your work and care for your customers.
3. Ask for reviews
After completing a job, ask your customers to leave a review on:
…or anywhere else your business is listed.
This helps to build your reputation and shows potential customers that you’re experienced and that homeowners are pleased with your work.
4. Upsell your services
Upselling is a great way to make more money and benefit your customers simultaneously.
If you think a customer’s lawn could do with a little extra trimming or edging, mention it to them and explain how it could improve their landscape.
Not only will you get more for your time, but you will also show customers that you are engaged and actively thinking of ways to improve their properties.
5. Use lawn care business apps
Useful lawn care apps can help you streamline your office operations such as scheduling, quoting, billing, and receiving payments.
These apps can also streamline expense management and project planning, saving you valuable time and increasing your profits.
Frequently asked questions
Shoeboxed, Jobber, and Deep Lawn are among the best apps for lawn care businesses. These apps can help a lawn care business manage their finances, scheduling, quoting, invoicing, payments, and more.
To get customers for your lawn care business, you need to promote your services. You can do this through digital marketing, Google Ads, fliers, word of mouth, Facebook Ads, or lawn care contractor apps like Eden.
When it comes to the best lawn care business apps, our top 3 fall down to Deep Lawn, Shoeboxed, and Jobber.
Deep Lawn is our pick for automated job estimates, we recommend Shoeboxed for receipt and expense management, and Jobber is our go-to for end-to-end project management.
With the right lawn care business apps, you can streamline your business operations, improve customer relations, and grow your company!
Hannah DeMoss is a staff writer for Shoeboxed covering organization and digitization tips for small business owners. Her favorite organization hack is labeling everything in her kitchen cabinets, and she can’t live without her mini label maker machine.
Shoeboxed is a receipt scanning service with receipt management software that supports multiple methods for receipt capture: send, scan, upload, forward, and more!
You can stuff your receipts into one of our Magic Envelopes (prepaid postage within the US). Use our receipt tracker + receipt scanner app (iPhone, iPad and Android) to snap a picture while on the go. Auto-import receipts from Gmail. Or forward a receipt to your designated Shoeboxed email address.
Turn your receipts into data and deductibles with our expense reports that include IRS-accepted receipt images.
Join over 1 million businesses scanning & organizing receipts, creating expense reports and more—with Shoeboxed.
Try Shoeboxed today!