Fleet management is a strenuous and drawn-out task when the mileage tracking is done using notebooks and odometers.
IRS-compliant mileage logs are hard to achieve when truckers in your fleet are expected to keep track of hundreds or thousands of miles by hand.
Luckily, technological advances have launched most professions into the 21st century—which means transportation companies now have options to automate the mileage tracking process and skyrocket employee productivity within their fleet.
Let’s jump into our reviews of the top fleet mileage tracking apps and software!
1. Shoeboxed – Best for expense tracking
Tracking miles with Shoeboxed
When you sign up for Shoeboxed, tracking miles is as easy as:
- Opening the Shoeboxed app.
- Tapping the “Mileage” icon.
- Clicking the “Start Mileage Tracking” button.
As soon as truckers in your fleet begin driving, Shoeboxed tracks their locations and miles and saves their routes.
(We recommend that truckers drop pins in the app when they make stops for gas or food. This helps to keep mileage and expense tracking precise.)
When your fleet makes stops or has to pay for tolls, parking, or other vehicle expenses, they can snap a picture and upload the receipt to the fleet’s Shoeboxed account without stopping the mileage tracker.
At the end of a trip, Shoeboxed will generate a summary for the day that includes the date, editable mileage and trip name, and tax deductible and rate information.
Shoeboxed with then create a receipt with the trip information, including a photo of the truck’s route on the map, and auto-categorize the trip under the mileage category.
Expense tracking and the Magic Envelope
Besides tracking mileage, truckers in your fleet can capture photos of, organize, and create expense reports for receipts on the road.
Compared to the other apps and software on our list, Shoeboxed is the only app that lets fleets outsource their expense management.
Shoeboxed offers a service called the Magic Envelope that lets you send your receipts to Shoeboxed’s scanning facility for categorization and uploading to your account.
If you’re not already convinced, truck drivers are among Shoeboxed’s most dedicated customers!
When we asked why they like Shoeboxed, they said that keeping a Magic Envelope on the seat next to them on their long hauls has made trips easier than ever before.
Whenever they stop to rest or refuel, they stuff the receipt in the Magic Envelope.
At the end of the month, they send the postage-pre-paid Magic Envelope off to Shoeboxed’s scanning facility and are notified when the receipts are processed in their account.
- Custom plans for fleets of various sizes.
- “Set and forget” expense management. Use the Magic Envelope to store receipts, ship them at the end of routes, and get them scanned and uploaded to your fleet’s account.
- Accurate, easy-to-use mileage tracker.
- Fleet managers can keep track of driver expenses.
- Add an unlimited number of FREE sub-users to any account.
- Scan receipts with the mobile app. Your fleet will never lose another receipt!
- Store digital copies of related documents for loads.
- Integrate with software, such as QuickBooks-add ons, for tax reporting and accounting purposes.
- Used and trusted by truckers.
- Plans that include the Magic Envelope cannot be purchased through the mobile app.
- Starter Plan – $4.99/month – 25 documents/month.
- Light Plan – $9.99/month – 50 documents/month.
- Pro Plan – $19.99/month – 115 documents/month.
Magic Envelope Plans
- Start Up – $18/month – 600 documents/year.
- Professional – $36/month – 1,800 documents/year.
- Business – $54/month – 3,600 documents/year.
Plus a no-strings-attached 30-day free trial!
2. GOFAR – Most future-forward app
GOFAR is our pick for the most future-forward mileage tracking app due to its amazing GOFAR Adapter, app, and Ray.
The adapter plugs into trucks’ diagnostics ports, which allows it to track miles even when your drivers’ phones or tablets lose charge.
GOFAR’s app is a complete logbook that meets IRS compliance standards, lets you see trips on the map, create expense reports, upload receipts to the cloud, and compare fuel costs.
The GOFAR Ray is optional, but an added bonus for fleets to save money.
This nifty device looks like it came out of a sci-fi movie and monitors truck engines to let drivers know when they’re being fuel-efficient and when they’re burning money.
- Never worry about losing tracked mileage with the GOFAR Adapter.
- Tons of features to save money.
- IRS-compliant mileage logging.
- Create expense reports and see trips on the map.
- Save receipts to your account for deductions.
- Use the GOFAR Ray to monitor fuel efficiency.
- Surprisingly cost-effective.
- You won’t find as many trucker-specific features with GOFAR as you will with the other apps on our list.
- Monthly – $15/month + $100 for the device.
- Annual – $10/month (pay $120 upfront) + get the device free.
- 2 Years – $8/month (pay $192 upfront) + get the device free.
3. TripLog – Best for its multi-tracking capabilities
Ditch the administrative burden of manual logs with TripLog, an automatic mileage tracker app that instantly tracks truckers’ drives via Bluetooth, Plug-N-Go, when your fleet travels at a specific speed, and more!
TripLog uses GPS tracking to record truckers’ miles, shows trips and route planning on Google Maps, tracks fuel costs, snaps photos of receipts for expense management, and is IRS-compliant with reports.
- Classify trips as business or personal.
- Deduct mileage from taxes with IRS-compliant reports.
- Automatically track trips.
- Create and view routes on Google Maps.
- Monthly costs can quickly add up depending on how many drivers are in your fleet.
- Teams – $10/month per user.
- Enterprise pricing – $15/month per user.
TripLog also offers a free single-user plan and a $5.99/month plan.
4. MileIQ – Most intuitive interface for fleet managers
MileIQ is an app that simplifies fleet management and lets transportation businesses automatically track the mileage of everyone on their team.
With MileIQ, fleet managers can keep tabs on every trucker in their fleet, review reports, and download driver data from one easy-to-use dashboard.
You can invite drivers to your MileIQ account and they can start tracking miles as soon as they download the app. MileIQ detects when your truckers are on the road and automatically begins logging the trip.
Managers can also quickly reimburse drivers through MileIQ, set custom mileage rates, set team locations (such as the office or warehouses), and more.
- Modern, easy-to-use interface.
- Monitor all of the drivers in your fleet in one dashboard.
- App automatically tracks mileage.
- Approve and reimburse truckers through the dashboard.
- Review and create reports.
- Download driver data.
- Easily add and remove drivers and admins.
- Costly for small businesses and price can quickly add up for larger fleets.
- Teams Lite – $50/user (billed annually).
- Teams – $80/user (billed annually).
- Teams Pro – $100/user (billed annually).
5. TruckerPath – Best all-in-one trucking software with trucker-specific features
Trucker Path is an all-in-one trucking software used by 1 million (and counting) professionals in the trucking industry.
Not only does TruckerPath track the miles your drivers spend out on the road, but it also provides truckers with truck-safe navigation to avoid hazards like low bridges, harsh turns, or unpaved roads.
With TruckerPath Command, you can find loads, view market insights, monitor your drivers, find deals on fuel, save business documents and contacts, and more, all from a single dashboard.
While out on the road, your fleet will benefit from trucker-specific features like amenity search, truck services, and stop reviews and ratings from other truckers on the route.
- TruckerPath Command lets fleet owners and managers keep tabs on drivers.
- Modern dashboard with everything you need to manage a fleet.
- Automatically track mileage with the app.
- Truck-safe navigation.
- Search for 8 amenity types along routes (overnight parking, ATM, laundry, shower, pet-friendly, WiFi, onsite gym, and fax services).
- 15 types of places to choose from, including rest areas, parking, weigh stations, restaurants, and scales.
- Find deals on fuel.
- See how other truckers rate stops.
- When Trucker Path is in use, it lowers background app noise (such as music).
- Gold – $14.99/month OR $12.5/month (paid annually)
- Diamond – $29.99/month OR $20.8/month (paid annually)
- For Team – $99.99/month (5 Driver Seats) OR $199.99/month (10 Driver Seats)
- 7-day free trial.
Which app or software is best for small fleets?
We like TruckerPath for small fleets that don’t need advanced management features, but can still benefit from all of the features this app has to offer to make their time out on the road easier.
What’s the best option for large fleets?
MileIQ surprised us with how well it could manage larger fleets and we particularly liked the modern, easy-to-navigate dashboard.
We think MileIQ is suitable for large fleets of established companies that are able to spend a little more on a mileage-tracking solution.
Which app or software is best for expense tracking?
Shoeboxed outshines the other mileage trackers with its expense tracking capabilities.
With Shoeboxed, truckers can simply snap photos of their receipts or stuff them in a postage-pre-paid Magic Envelope to get expenses uploaded to fleet managers’ accounts.
From there, managers can review the expenses for reimbursement or have proof-of-purchase for tax deductions and in case of an audit.
Why are apps important for tracking fleet mileage?
Tracking the miles spent on the road can be your fleet’s ticket to greater tax deductions, more accurate accounting, better productivity, and increased profits.
Let’s discuss why tracking fleet mileage with an app or trucker software is necessary.
1. Tracking mileage with an app is convenient
Truckers drive long hours, making logging miles by hand a cumbersome task prone to inaccuracies or forgetfulness.
Mileage tracking apps and software help automate the process, improving fleet morale and mileage accuracy.
When truckers have an app on their phones or tablets that tracks the miles for them, you’re guaranteed precise numbers and IRS-compliant logs.
2. Mileage tracking apps reduce your tax liability
The IRS allows transportation companies to deduct the tax mileage rate from their business trips, as well as any truck-related expenses.
Apps, like Shoeboxed, not only track your fleet’s mileage and turn them into tax-compliant records, but they also let you keep a digital paper trail of the expenses incurred while traveling.
The following expenses can generally be deducted from your end-of-year taxes:
- Tolls and parking
- Vehicle repairs and maintenance
- Insurance and registration
Truckers can also have hotels or lodging, meals, medical expenses, work clothing, and education deducted from their taxes.*
*For your information only. Contact a tax professional to learn about tax deductions for your business.
3. Accounting is more seamless and accurate with apps
By integrating your fleet’s mileage tracking app with the company’s accounting software, you can bypass manual data entry, ensure quicker reimbursement, and have all of your accounting information in one organized place.
4. Your fleet will save money
Automatic mileage tracking apps help fleets save money on their business mileage with features like fuel cost comparisons and expense tracking.
With these added features, you can keep costs down with price checks, see where unnecessary money is being spent, and keep up with expenses like repairs so you can schedule routine maintenance and address problems before they happen.
Some apps even track the speed of company vehicles so you can monitor which drivers in your fleet are being unsafe and potentially hiking up your insurance costs.
Frequently asked questions
Truckers should track the miles they drive each day and have a record of when they stop for gas, lodging, or maintenance. Mileage and expense tracking apps, like Shoeboxed, can help automate this process.
GOFAR, TruckerPath, and MileIQ are among some of the best mileage apps for truck drivers.
While all of these industry-leading tools are great for automating manual tasks, prepping for tax season, and making life easier for the fleet manager, our favorite comes down to GOFAR.
We love the hands-off approach of this company and the intuitive mileage tracker app that makes pen-to-paper fleet management a thing of the past.
Of course, we also recommend Shoeboxed for its simple mileage tracking feature, amazing expense tracking and reporting capabilities, and unique Magic Envelope service that lets fleets outsource their receipt management.
Hannah DeMoss is a staff writer for Shoeboxed covering organization and digitization tips for small business owners. Her favorite organization hack is labeling everything in her kitchen cabinets, and she can’t live without her mini label maker machine.
Shoeboxed is a receipt scanning service with receipt management software that supports multiple methods for receipt capture: send, scan, upload, forward, and more!
You can stuff your receipts into one of our Magic Envelopes (prepaid postage within the US). Use our receipt tracker + receipt scanner app (iPhone, iPad and Android) to snap a picture while on the go. Auto-import receipts from Gmail. Or forward a receipt to your designated Shoeboxed email address.
Turn your receipts into data and deductibles with our expense reports that include IRS-accepted receipt images.
Join over 1 million businesses scanning & organizing receipts, creating expense reports and more—with Shoeboxed.
Try Shoeboxed today!