Goodbye Messy Desk – Today is National Clean Off Your Desk Day!
It may not be a federal holiday, but it’s definitely a Shoeboxed favorite. Today is National Clean Off Your Desk Day, that special day every year (the second Monday of January, to be exact) when we take time to reflect on our messy desks and the things that are really important. Everything else can be scanned, shredded, or tossed!
We know that most of you are still fresh off not keeping your new year’s resolutions (who can work out twice a week anyways, it’s inhuman!), so here is a quick win to assuage your guilty conscience.
- When you sit down at your messy desk today, take 10 minutes to do a quick assessment: Which papers can you file, scan, or shred? File, scan or shred them right away. You can mail us anything you want scanned if that’s easier!
- If you don’t have a good filing system, now is the time to set it up. Here is a good article to get you started.
- Reduce non-work objects on your desk to three or less. You don’t need more than one or two family pictures, and you definitely don’t need more than one bobblehead / clever toy / stuffed animal.
- Set a recurring appointment in your calendar. At least every 6 weeks, you should repeat this process. To get motivated, make the title of the appointment sound like fun (e.g. “HAPPY HOUR (at my desk)” or “DANCE PARTY (clean off desk first for a proper dancing surface)”). You get the idea.
- Tweet before and after pictures of your messy desk @Shoeboxed. It’s like Christmas cards for the organizationally inclined!
In case you need any additional motivation to clean off your desk, we put together a quick infographic with some interesting (and sometimes gross) facts about messy desks.
Happy National Clean Off Your Desk Day, everyone!
The Shoeboxed Team