Like most Americans, we have been thinking about all the people Texas and the Southeast that have been ravaged with inclement weather over the past few weeks. Here in North Carolina, we almost got smacked by Tropical Storm Hannah, but only had a good amount of rain.

In the wake of these storms, though, I thought it might be useful for some of you to remind you of some benefits you may be able to receive if you were a storm victim.

You may qualify to receive a refund for your 2007 taxes because of deductible disaster-related losses from the recent hurricanes. You’ll need to keep those receipts to show to the IRS, though. Learn more on the IRS website, and searching for “Tropical Storm Fay” or “Hurricane Ike” or by calling the agency’s disaster helpline, (800) TAX-FORM and they can mail you additional information and instructions.

Though it may be too late for many, Shoeboxed users will understand the value of keeping their receipts in a secure, remote location on Shoeboxed’s servers. By having your information online and secure, you’ll be sure to get the refunds and savings you deserve from both the IRS, and from insurance companies that protect your property.