Tired of keeping track of each individual paper receipt after a purchase, resulting in a pile of paper clutter? With the right receipt management software and a business expense management process, you’ll be able to easily keep track of all your spending.
But with so many apps to choose from, you may not know which app to use.
What is Rydoo?
Rydoo (formerly known as Xpenditure) is a web-based and mobile expense management system that automates registering and submitting reimbursement claims. It also has built-in local compliance, which allows you to set daily limit allowance and calculate the total driving distance to claim gas deductions.
What is Shoeboxed?
Shoeboxed was voted best receipt tracker for tax season by Hubspot as well as being the best for tax-saving purposes by Software Testing Help. Its software is specifically designed to scan and manage receipts for entrepreneurs, small business owners, independent contractors, bookkeepers, accountants, financial planners, and DIY problem solvers.
Rydoo vs. Shoeboxed: An overview
Both software uses OCR, which converts important information from your receipts into a digital format. Additionally, users can sort receipts by date and vendor, compute total sums, and segregate expenses by category. Shoeboxed can also digitize and upload receipts to your preferred software or cloud storage, while Rydoo has its own cloud system for managing your digital documents.
One feature that Shoeboxed has that Rydoo doesn’t is its Magic Envelope service. The Magic Envelope service gives you a pre-paid envelope that allows you to send your backlog of receipts to one of Shoeboxed’s processing facilities for free—making Shoeboxed a choice option for independent contractors and business owners during tax season.
As a receipt scanner, your receipts are scanned, converted into digital data, and then uploaded to your account by Shoeboxed. Using this unique service is perfect for small business owners or freelancers as you free yourself from paperwork and can then focus on your most important tasks.
Additionally, your digital receipts will always be audit-ready and human-verified. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will accept your receipts since they meet IRS’s receipt scan requirements.
On the other hand, Rydoo has a built-in local compliance system. This compliance allows you to create rules and regulations for your employees to follow, submit, approve, and/or declare expenses. So if you have employees traveling and submitting expense reports, Rydoo allows employees to create mileage and per diem reimbursement reports while traveling and reclaim VAT.
Since Rydoo heavily focuses on mobile devices, employees can spend money, send in their receipts, and within minutes know if the reimbursement claim has gone through or not.
Side-by-side comparison chart: Rydoo vs. Shoeboxed
Here is a side-by-side comparison to help you compare the differences between these apps.
|Overview||Rydoo is an expense tracking software that allows users to create built-in compliances, track mileage per diem, and quickly approve reimbursement.||Shoeboxed is an easy way to track and digitize receipts, maximize tax deductions, and prepare audit-ready reports for freelancers and business owners.|
|Platforms supported||iOs, Android, and Web.||iOs, Android, and Web.|
|Best for||Mid-sized companies and the computer software industry||Freelancers, business owners, bookkeepers, and accountants|
|Third-party integrations||• Exact|
• SAP SuccessFactors
• Taxback International
• Blue dot
• and more
• Xero Add On
• Working Point
• Get My Invoices
• Sky Clerk
• Wave Accounting
• Right Signature
• Tea Spiller
• Scan Snap
• One Price Taxes
|Features||• Scan and upload receipts on any digital device|
• On-the-go uses
• Real-time reimbursement approval
•Built-in compliance for employees to follow
Uses optical character recognition (OCR) AI technology
|• Scan receipts through your phone or send an email copy|
• The Magic Envelope service is a receipt scanning service for anyone looking to outsource hours of tedious scanning
• Uses optical character recognition (OCR) combined with human data verification
• Unlimited data storage with all plans
• Unlimited users allowed on each account
• 15 default tax categories
Easy expense report creation for tax season
• $10 per user, per month, when billed annually
• $12 per user, per month when billed annually
• Talk to one of their experts for a quote
|Shoeboxed offers a variety of affordable pricing subscriptions:|
• The Startup: $18
• The Professional: $36
• The Business: $54
Digital Only subscriptions are available from Shoeboxed’s mobile app:
• Digital Only Starter: $4.99
• Lite Plan: $9.99- Pro Plan: $19.99
|Trial||14-day free trial||30-day free trial on all subscriptions|
Shoeboxed pros and cons
- Outsource receipt scanning. Enjoy Shoeboxed’s Magic Envelope scanning service, and never bother about scanning receipts again.
- AI data extraction paired with a human data verification team means 100% accurate expense tracking.
- You can organize your receipts and expenses into different categories according to your preferences.
- Every Shoeboxed subscription comes with unlimited file storage and unlimited sub-users—no need to be limited with your subscription. This feature means you can add your bookkeeper or accountant as a sub-user to your account. Or, bookkeepers and accountants can include multiple clients within their account.
- You can add multiple clients to your account if you are a bookkeeper or accountant.
- Easily change your subscription or upgrade your monthly document limit without worrying about being bound by a contract.
- Shoeboxed does not offer budgeting features within its dashboard.
Rydoo pros and cons
- Rydoo integrates with over 25 software in categories such as ERP, finance, travel, taxes, and sustainability. Since their focus is on reimbursement, they also have integration tools with transaction companies such as MasterCard and Visa—with more integrations promised in the future.
- A good option as an expense processing app, with features that support expense report processing.
- Highly rated as a travel-focused expense tracker, as the app syncs with ride-sharing apps and one can also view expense reports per trip.
- Some limitations around certain integrations.
- No in-built reimbursement system.
Frequently asked questions on Rydoo vs. Shoeboxed
Shoeboxed offers a DIY plan for free. However, you’ll have to manually extract and validate all the data from your scanned receipts on your web-based account. The good news is that Shoeboxed has affordable options, such as the Digital Only Starter Plan for $4.99, which grants you 25 automatically processed documents each month. They also offer the first 30-days of any paid plan for free. You can cancel anytime within the 30-day free trial period to see if it is right for you.
No, Rydoo is not free. However, you can sign up for a free 14-day trial period during which you can try out Rydoo’s premium features. Once the 14 days are up, you will need to decide on and pay for a plan.
What’s a Rydoo alternative for receipt and expense tracking?
Whether you are a freelancer or a bookkeeper, receipt and expense tracking is essential for your everyday business.
When comparing these scanner for small business in our Rydoo vs. Shoeboxed article, Rydoo is a great option for larger businesses with multiple employees where limits need to be set when using the company card, and real-time reimbursements are essential.
But if you’re looking for a Rydoo alternative, Shoeboxed is a great receipt scanner/organizer for business owners, bookkeepers, and accountants because of its receipt management software and business expenses management for teams.
Shoeboxed is a receipt scanning service with receipt management software that supports multiple methods for receipt capture: send, scan, upload, forward, and more!
You can stuff your receipts into one of our Magic Envelopes (prepaid postage within the US). Use our receipt tracker + receipt scanner app (iPhone, iPad and Android) to snap a picture while on the go. Auto-import receipts from Gmail. Or forward a receipt to your designated Shoeboxed email address.
Turn your receipts into data and deductibles with our expense reports that include IRS-accepted receipt images.
Join over 1 million businesses scanning & organizing receipts, creating expense reports and more—with Shoeboxed.
Try Shoeboxed today!