The Startup Giveback is a community cookout event aimed at allowing people to build their businesses and their community at the same time, all while having fun with friends, family and colleagues. The first event will be held on Saturday, November 16, 2013 from 1p.m. to 4p.m. at Shoeboxed HQ at 112 Broadway Street, Suite B, in downtown Durham. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Triangle Community Foundation.
Here at Shoeboxed, we’re passionate about the community where we live and work. Durham, NC, is a unique, vibrant place that we’re proud to call home.
Recently, we’ve been talking to our friends at other local companies like Coursefork, The Startup Factory, American Underground and others to come up with meaningful new ways to give back to our local community. Out of these conversations, the Startup Giveback was born.
The Startup Giveback
The Startup Giveback is a community cookout event aimed at allowing people to build their businesses and their community at the same time, all while having fun with friends, family and colleagues. The first event will be held on Saturday, November 16, 2013 from 1p.m. to 4p.m. at Shoeboxed HQ at 112 Broadway Street, Suite B, in downtown Durham. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Triangle Community Foundation. There will be a $10 suggested donation for free food, and local craft beer for a $5 suggested donation. 100% of the gross proceeds will go directly to Startup Endowment. RSVP now!
The Startup Endowment
The goal of this event (and future ones) is to build an endowment that will benefit local charities for years to come. We’re both raising money and asking entrepreneurs to donate what they have to give: equity in their businesses. Here are our shared goals:
- $10,000 to open a charitable fund with the Triangle Communitiy Foundation. And then,
- $50,000 to endow the fund so that it will provide a reliable resource for area charities.
- 100 entrepreneurs to pledge 1% of the equity they hold in their companies to our fund. And then,
- 1000 entrepreneurs to pledge 1% of the equity they hold in their companies to our fund.
And these are just the goals for 2014! Stay tuned for more opportunities to support the Startup Giveback and get involved. We hope to see you at the event on Saturday, November 16! You can learn more about the event and RSVP here.
On Thursday, October 10, Shoeboxed and American Underground will be hosting Fall Startup Fest.
On Thursday, October 10, Shoeboxed and American Underground will be hosting the first annual Fall Startup Fest. The event will start at 5 P.M. and all local companies, entrepreneurs and Shoeboxed users are welcome to attend! It will be held at Shoeboxed Headquarters at 112 Broadway St. Suite B. Durham, NC 27701.
The party is free to attend, but we will be collecting donations for TEACCH. TEACCH is a local organization out of Chapel Hill that helps adults with autism find jobs. Shoeboxed is an avid supporter of TEACCH and we currently employ six of their members!
We will have lots of activities set up for an evening of no-pressure networking:
- Locally brewed beer courtesy of American Underground
- Food from Will & Pop’s food truck (and catered dessert)
- Live music courtesy of ReverbNation
- Cornhole, darts and ping pong for some friendly inter-company competition
- 3-D printer demo from Splat Space
- ELF bike demo from Organic Transit
- Pitches from 2-3 startups from the American Underground (investors will be in attendance)
If you haven’t already RSVP’d, then please use this link to sign up you and your team. Also, if you’re interested in co-sponsoring the event or setting up a booth of your own, please be sure to send me an email at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you all on October 10th!
This year marks the 50th annual National Small Business Week. To celebrate, we’re joining the Small Business Superhero Contest, sponsored by BatchBook! Enter now for a chance to win an awesome prize package from companies including FreshBooks, BoostSuite, Olark and, of course, yours truly.
This post is a part of a series celebrating National Small Business Week. If you’re a small business owner using Shoeboxed for your business and would like to share your experience, we’d love to hear from you.
For the past six years, Batchbook has recognized the heroic efforts of small businesses around the country, and this year we’re joining the celebration. Three lucky superheroes will win awesome prize packages for their small business– one of which includes a free year of Shoeboxed! But there’s more: every entrant will receive 50 free MOO cards, as well as free access to Silver Lining Limited’s summer bootcamp (a $299 value), which will help businesses overcome the problem of “too little time, too little money.”
You can learn more about the contest on the BatchBook blog. To enter, just choose your superpower from the list below and then share how it helps you run your business.
Here are the superpowers you can choose from:
- Empathy: You know when to give a hug
- Omnipresence: You are always there to save the day
- Superhuman speed: You make decisions faster than a speeding bullet
- Superhuman vision: You have super vision to see your future success
- Technopathy: You know your way around any new technology
- Time travel: You rescue your employees from time-wasting meetings
- Duplication: You get so much done, it’s like there are two of you
- Superhuman energy: Your energy keeps the whole business humming
To join the contest, just head over to the BatchBook Facebook page and fill out the form! Here are the Small Business Makeover packages you could win:
The Business Package
- 1 year Large Batchbook account
- $300.00 Grasshopper Credit
- 1 year RightSignature Business account
- 1 year Formstack Professional Plan
- 1 year FreshBooks Evergreen Plan
- $50.00 MOO credit
- Google Gooru Consultation (Free 1-hour Gmail Productivity Training Session & Free 1-hour Google Drive Productivity Training Session)
- 99designs Power Pack (Includes complimentary half-hour design consultation with a branding team)
- Free Lifetime access to SLAPcenter business training platform
The Marketing Package
- Free logo from 99designs (includes complimentary half-hour design consultation with a branding team)
- $100.00 Grasshopper Credit
- 1 year Edocr Business Account
- BoostSuite Web Marketing Consultation
- Batchbook Cloud Help Consultation
- $250 MOO credit
- 3 Months of DirectMail Manager & $100 credit
- 3 months free Large Batchbook account
- 1 year free Emma account
The Tech Package
- 1 year free Shoeboxed Classic plan
- 1 year Cazoomi SyncApps account
- $200.00 Grasshopper Credit
- Unlimited users account with Janrain Engage
- $100 MOO credit
- Free 99designs Pro Tools (includes complimentary half-hour design consultation with a branding team)
- 1 year ScreenSteps Live Plus plan
- 4 months free of Olark’s “Lost Silver” plan
- 3 months free Large Batchbook account
Image via Flickr