Simply visit the IRS website and use the tool called Where’s My Refund? to track the status of your tax refund. Here you can find out the most up-to-date information about your refund anytime. It takes about 24 hours after the IRS acknowledges that they received your return for the tool to work for your refund, so be patient!
To access the status of your tax return, you will need:
- Your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Your filing status
- The exact refund amount shown on your tax return
Once you’ve entered your information, you’ll receive a response right away. Possible responses include:
- Acknowledgement that your return was received and is processing.
- The mailing date or direct deposit date of your refund.
- Notice that the IRS could not deliver your refund due to an incorrect address. In this instance, you can change or correct your address online.
If you still haven’t filed your refund, it’s not too late. Check out our tips on how to have a less taxing tax season, and get going! The sooner you file, the sooner you can track your tax return online.