What to Do if You Duplicate Filing Tax Returns?

duplicate filing tax returns

Tax forms and submission can be time-consuming and confusing for many taxpayers in the US. At some point, you might wonder what happens if you duplicate filing tax returns unintentionally or you need to change an error on your original returns. 

This article will help you answer what to do if you duplicate tax returns and how to correct if you made a mistake on your original tax forms. 

What happens if I duplicate filing tax returns?

The most common concern for most people who discover they have duplicated their tax returns is whether they will be fined.

If you find yourself in this situation, you’ll be happy to hear that you won’t have to pay taxes again in the same year. Individuals who unintentionally file two tax returns won’t also get fined. You wouldn’t face any consequences if you filed your taxes correctly and didn’t under-report your income, even if you completed them twice.

Only people who submit their taxes late or avoid paying their taxes are subject to financial tax penalties.

However, the IRS does not accept filing two federal tax returns. Since your Social Security Number (SSN) has been used to file only one return, the IRS will only accept the first one and automatically reject any additional return filed with that SSN. 

They will also review the highlighted form to determine if the double filing was an error, a sign of fraudulent activity, or an effort at financial crimes. After that, you will probably receive an error code about the second one explaining why it got rejected. 

You might also be interested in: 

What to do if you accidentally duplicate filing tax returns? 

If you accidentally submitted your taxes multiple times, but it does include the same data on both applications, you usually don’t need to do anything else.

When the IRS receives your subsequent tax return, it will review the double filing and will most probably conclude that it was found to be false. In this case, the IRS will immediately dismiss the second form, and you will most likely receive a warning message informing you of this.

On the other hand, if you submit a subsequent tax return to fix a problem on the first, you must file a tax return update using a different form to change errors or oversights in the original return. You need to file and submit Form 1040-X on paper because this form isn’t available online. 

Typically, you will not need to do anything additional at this point. If you previously duplicated your tax returns by email, it may take weeks or months for the IRS to review the two different forms and alert you of the denial. At this point, they should have received your Form 1040-X. After the review, you should ask for confirmation that the data on the initial update has been amended.

If you haven’t heard back from the IRS regarding your updated tax return after three weeks, you should call the IRS’s hotline for customer support. It’s a good idea to track your Form 1040-X‘s progress to be aware of the next steps.

The bottom line

If you don’t want to find yourself wondering what happens if you duplicate filing tax returns, you should consider asking a tax professional to prepare and check your return. A tax professional can help you avoid mistakes in tax filing and even make the best out of your deductions. 

Don’t forget to subscribe to the Shoeboxed blog for more engaging tax-related knowledge and useful tax tips for freelancers! 

About Shoeboxed

Shoeboxed is a receipt management application that turns your receipts and business documents into a digital format in just one click by taking a picture straight from your smartphone or scanning a pdf. It automatically extracts, categorizes, and human-verifies important data from your receipts so that you can go over and check your records anytime with ease. Shoeboxed ensures you will always have your receipts securely stored and ready for tax purposes.

Access your Shoeboxed account from your web browser or smartphone app. Stay audit-ready with Shoeboxed for FREE now!